Embedded Systems Engineer
Required experience and qualities
Skilled in embedded systems hardware and software development. Experience in working within a diverse team of engineers and product designers to drive a new and innovative product to market. Capable of software development at low and high-levels, with background in actuator and position control, interfacing with other embedded systems over common high- and low-speed interfaces, and operation with real-time response and control requirements. Strong emphasis on low-cost manufacturing and integration into overall products in a wide range of environments and applications such as land mobile, aeronautical, maritime, and consumer. Leadership and experience in the innovation, design, implementation, and testing of new capabilities in support of new products is highly desirable. Background in physics, electronics, microwave, or electromagnetics is highly desirable. 5+ years of industry experience or advanced degree required.
- Lead the planning, design, implementation, and testing of embedded systems for control, monitoring, and communications
- Translate engineering requirements into a design that is functional, efficient, and inexpensive
- Apply Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA) techniques in mechanical designs
- Apply experience in producing designs in a cost-effective manner to enable the production of highly-manufacturable, cost-effective products ranging from high-end aeronautical products to low-cost consumer products
- Perform designs with an understanding to manufacturing in both high-volume low-margin as well as low-volume high-margin situations
- Cultivate and advance the growth of a talented and effective embedded systems engineering team
- Present and generate professional reports on results and progress to customers, vendors, investors, and company management.
- Interact with parallel design teams to jointly optimize overall product performance
- Relevant engineering degree required
- Relevant industry experience: 5 years
- Proficiency with industry standard CAD/CAM and circuit simulation tools required
- Comfortable working at all stages of hardware design, including requirements, planning, schematic, layout, prototype, testing, and production
- Experience in use of common digital logic, microcontrollers (8+ bit), microprocessors (32+ bits), FPGAs, and embedded soft processors.
- Thorough knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of available alternatives for hardware and software design decisions.
- Equally capable at both software and hardware design
- Proven experience at all stages of a product development lifecycle
- Hands-on experience in prototyping, testing, debugging, and reworking designs
- Experience with Linux software development processes, environments, and principles (e.g., bash, make, cmake, source control, remote access)
- Standalone problem-solver
- Technical leadership experience
- High written and oral communication skills for internal and external presentations, meetings, and reports
- Goal- and schedule-focused
- High performance in a fast-moving startup environment
- Background in design and layout of RF (phase-matched stripline, microstrip, co-planar waveguide, and substrate-integrated waveguide) and/or high-speed digital design is highly desirable
Education and Qualifications
Candidate should have at least a BS level degree and at least 5 years’ experience in related activities. The candidate must have performed well in a team environment, and should have demonstrated experience in project leadership.
- Type: Full-time
- Location: London, UK
- Number: ENG007